Thursday, April 24, 2008

Turkey Burgers and Futbol

Last week, Barcelona and Manchester United were playing a crucial Champions League final game (which we recorded) and it had been a long day at work so dinner needed to be quick and easy to eat in front of the TV. Fortunately I had turkey patties defrosting in the fridge and hamburger rolls in the freezer. Unfortunately, the patties are still a bit solid so I gently removed them from the packaging and seperated them using a metal spatula. I set the patties aside to defrost and turned to setting everything else up.

My next step is always to look into the vegetable bin to see what I have to round out any meal. I found onions and a small handful of mushrooms so I decide to grill those for the burgers. I also found some avocados which just sliced and scooped for a nice side. Finally, I set up each plate with a bit of lettuce for our burgers.


When grilling onions I like to add them to the pan as a full slice - eventually I break them up but I feel that this allows the onions to get a nice even browning before they start softening. So I gently peeled a medium onion, and sliced nice rounds of onions less than a quarter inch each. I rinsed the mushrooms and sliced them thinly as well. With everything prepped; dishes set up, buns waiting to be toasted, patties defrosting and the mushrooms and onions sliced, I set my grill pan - which is an oval, Le Crueset skillet - on the burner at medium and add a tablespoon of olive oil.

When the oil started to gently smoke, I carefully added the rounds of onions doing my best not to break them into rings. Once the onions were placed, I let them brown on one side for a few minutes, gently flipped them and let them brown on the other side for bit. As the second side of each onion round was browning, I added the mushrooms (and a bit more oil because the pan seems a bit dry). I gently sauteed the onions and when they seemed to be cooking nicely I mix them with the browned onion - now breaking the onions into single rings. I moved this mixture of onions and mushrooms to the side of the pan and let the pan heat up a bit before adding the turkey patties.

As the second side of each turkey patty is browning, I put the hamburger buns in the toaster and a low setting just to get the bread warm - not too crisp. When the buns are warm, I bring them to the plate and add a turkey patty to each bottom bun followed by a layer of nicely grilled onions and mushrooms. It is up to everyone to personalize their own from there.






No comments:

Welcome

Thanks so much for visiting our site. Please feel free to leave comments telling me what you like about the site or postings as well as any feedback that might make viewing easier for you.